The Russian defence ministry has claimed the United States and the UK have ‘blood on their hands’ after two medics were killed by the shelling of a military hospital in Aleppo.
A Russian military nurse and doctor died and another medic was wounded along with several Syrian civilians after rebels fired mortar shells at the admissions department of a makeshift hospital, Moscow said.
ALEPPO, Syria – Mirror.co.uk told Russia claims US handed Syrian rebels coordinates for military hospital and says ‘you have blood on your hands’.
Russia has been a staunch supporter of Bashar Al-Assad’s regime during Syria’s bloody civil war, now in its sixth year.
Moscow and Damascus were last month themselves forced to deny targeting civilian infrastructure after the World Health Organisation said it had recorded more than than 126 attacks on health facilities in Syria this year alone.
The Russian hospital, which was completely destroyed by Monday’s shelling, had been set up in the government-controlled Furq an neighbourhood of the city.
Major General Igor Konashenkov, spokesman for the Russian defence ministry, accused the US, the UK and France of tipping off insurgents about the location of the medical facility.
He said: “We consider from whom the terrorists have received the information and coordinates of the admission department of the Russian hospital at the start of its operation.
“Therefore, the direct perpetrators are not only who is responsible for the killing and injuring of our medical workers, who have been providing assistance to the children of Aleppo.
“The blood of our soldiers is on the hands of the hirer of the murder.
“Yes, the blood of our soldiers is on… the patrons’ of terrorists from the United States, Britain, France, and other countries and sympathisers, hands.”
But Mark Toner, spokesman for the US state department, said it was “completely false” allies had given the coordinates of the hospital to the rebels.
He added: “We would never give coordinates to the Syrian opposition.”
Hundreds of thousands of people have fled Aleppo in past few months after Syrian regime, backed by Russian warplanes, began bombarding the city’s rebel-held eastern sections.
More than 300 civilians in Aleppo have been killed in the past two weeks, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The last children’s hospital in Aleppo last month suspended operations after a brutal “double-tap” bombing by Syrian forces.
A wave of airstrikes targeted medics in the rebel-held eastern district as they treated dozens of children who had been hit with chemical attacks.
Doctors and patients fled to the basement as more than 20 barrel bombs pounded the centre.
The US this week held talks with the rebels about their surrender and evacuation from the besieged city after Russia threatened anyone who refused to leave would be “wiped out”.