UNITED STATES, WASHINGTON (VOP TODAY NEWS) — The situation in the southern Yemeni city of Aden eased during Eid al-Adha with the leader of the southern separatists declaring their commitment to a ceasefire and participating in a meeting called by Saudi Arabia, following violent clashes last week.
There have been no clashes in the past 24 hours in Aden, which has been the scene of fierce clashes since Wednesday between separatists and forces loyal to the internationally recognized Yemeni president, Abd Rabbo Mansour Hadi, although they have been fighting in the Saudi-led coalition since 2015.
“What happened in Aden is part of self-defense, while the other party’s role was to implement a plan based on the assassination of our leaders, provoke our masses and then liquidate our presence,” the head of the Southern Transitional Council said.
Will the separatists hand over sovereign headquarters by accepting dialogue?
Violent clashes have erupted since Wednesday in Aden between separatists and forces loyal to the internationally recognized Yemeni president, Abd Rabbo Mansour Hadi, although they have been fighting in the Saudi-led military coalition against the Houthis since 2015.
On Sunday, the coalition in Yemen launched raids targeting a location of the UAE-backed southern separatists, the main partner of the military alliance, the day after they took control of the presidential palace in Aden.
The coalition had called Saturday for an immediate ceasefire in Aden, stressing that it would use “military force” against those who violate it.
An ally “in and strong”
Zubaidi reiterated the commitment of the Southern Transitional Council to the ceasefire, saying “we renew our commitment to continue the ceasefire called for by the leadership of the Arab coalition.” Zubaidi said that the amount of weapons and ammunition found in the camps of the Presidential Guard forces “enough to fight the Iranian Houthi enemy on all fronts of fighting without the support of the coalition for at least 12 months.”
In his speech, Al-Zubaidi stressed the readiness of the transitional council “to attend the meeting called by Saudi Arabia with full openness in the belief of the leadership of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz.”
Saudi Arabia on Saturday called on the parties to the conflict in Aden to “urgently meet” with the aim of “discussing differences and giving wisdom and dialogue.” “We renew our confidence in Saudi Arabia,” Zubaidi said, describing it as an ally “in and strong.”
On Sunday, the internationally recognized Yemeni president met Saudi King Salman bin Abdul Aziz and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to discuss developments in Yemen, the official SPA news agency reported.
The United Nations also announced on Sunday that about 40 people were killed and 260 wounded in fighting in Aden. In a statement, MSF said it had treated 119 people in less than 24 hours at a hospital run by the organization in Aden.
Five years after the outbreak of the war, 24.1 million people, more than two-thirds of the population, need help, according to the United Nations, which describes the humanitarian crisis in Yemen as the worst in the world today.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for VOP from different countries around the world – edited and published by VOP staff in our newsroom.
Contact us: email@example.com
VOP Today News — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
We are the Voice of People — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes VOP possible came from you.