UNITED STATES – The risk of infection with a bacterium that attacks the gastrointestinal tract due to consumption of raw milk was estimated to be 150 times higher than with pasteurized milk.
Experts from US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have found that fresh milk consumption is associated with the spread of antibiotic-resistant infections.
Thus, in 2016 in Colorado, 12 cases of infection with the bacterium Campylobacter jejuni were recorded, affecting the digestive tract with secondary consequences on other organs, abscesses and necrosis, says the specialized portal Ars Technica.
Despite the ban on the sale of fresh milk in the state, some US farmers have managed to circumvent it, causing an outbreak in 171 farms. However, only 91 of them stopped distributing milk after the warning of the authorities, reports the portal.
According to the researchers, the growing number of outbreaks of Campylobacter jejuni in 2015 occurred due to dairy products that were not pasteurized. Given epidemiological indicators since 1993, the incidence rate has quadrupled.
Moreover, the risk of infection with a bacterium due to the consumption of raw milk was 150 times higher than that due to pasteurized milk.
The scientists also recalled the symptoms of Campylobacter jejuni infection, such as fever, intestinal spasms, vomiting and diarrhea. It should be noted that these microorganisms can be found in water and food, including milk.
In addition, these bacteria are resistant to three antibiotics, tetracycline, nalidixic acid and ciprofloxacin.