This is what happened: Extraterrestrials visited our Earth many millennia ago. They behaved similar to how current ethnologists behave today.
They studied a few languages, visited different tribes, gave suggestions and disappeared sometime – however, with the promise to return in the distant future. Our Stone Age ancestors could not grasp what happened back then. They wrongfully believed that the extraterrestrials were gods.
The supposed <gods> then wandered into our mythology and became the founders of many religions. I have been executing research for 65 years in order to substantiate these ideas. My work is now present in 40 volumes.
Many films and TV series were first made possible through my body of thought. I am not an esoteric, I do not rely on statements from fellow humans who claim to have real or supposed contact to UFO crews today.
Whatever I say must have sense in itself – it must be conclusive. That is why in particular my new books are rich with illustrations. And of course they contain sources that can be verified. Why do I do my work? We live in a world of religious and, unfortunately, often scientific humbugs.
Humanity is encouraged to believe in a jealous god from the Old Testament – who was never a god.
To believe in angels, who were also not really that, and “heavenly vehicles” that never existed. For millennia it did not deal with “something heavenly”, but rather extraterrestrials.
Individual people were also not “brought to heaven”, but rather trained in a spaceship. From countless old written records, I know that these “gods” promised to return. Then we will experience the god shock.
A total catastrophe in religion and science. And everything would have been so easy to understand – without this god shock. The evidence speaks a clear language. That is what drives me.
Erich Anton Paul von Däniken born 14 April 1935 is a Swiss author of several books which make claims about extraterrestrial influences on early human culture, including the best-selling Chariots of the Gods?, published in 1968. Däniken is one of the main figures responsible for popularizing the “paleo-contact” and ancient astronauts hypotheses. The ideas put forth in his books are rejected by a majority of scientists and academics, who categorize his work as pseudohistory, pseudoarchaeology, and pseudoscience.
Däniken later became a co-founder of the Archaeology, Astronautics and SETI Research Association (AAS RA). He designed Mystery Park (now known as Jungfrau Park), a theme park located in Interlaken, Switzerland, that opened in May 2003.
Claims of alien influence on Earth
The general claim of Däniken over several published books, starting with Chariots of the Gods? in 1968, is that extraterrestrials or “ancient astronauts” visited Earth and influenced early human culture. Däniken writes about his belief that structures such as the Egyptian pyramids, Stonehenge, and the Moai of Easter Island and artifacts from that period represent higher technological knowledge than is presumed to have existed at the times they were manufactured. He also describes ancient artwork throughout the world as containing depictions of astronauts, air and space vehicles, extraterrestrials, and complex technology. Däniken explains the origins of religions as reactions to contact with an alien race, and offers interpretations of sections of the Old Testament of the Bible (See also Ark of the Covenant and The Spaceships of Ezekiel).
- Chariots of the Gods? (Souvenir Press Ltd, 1969)
- Return to the Stars (Souvenir Press Ltd, 1970) ISBN 0-285-50298-0
- Gods from Outer Space (Bantam,1972; reprint of Return to the Stars)
- The Gold of the Gods (Souvenir Press Ltd, 1973) ISBN 0-285-62087-8
- Miracles of the Gods: A Hard Look at the Supernatural (Souvenir Press Ltd, 1975) ISBN 0-285-62174-2
- In Search of Ancient Gods: My Pictorial Evidence for the Impossible (Corgi books, 1976) ISBN 0-552-10073-0
- According to the Evidence (Souvenir Press, 1977) ISBN 0-285-62301-X
- Signs of the Gods (Corgi books, 1980) ISBN 0-552-11716-1
- The Stones of Kiribati: Pathways to the Gods (Corgi books, 1982) ISBN 0-552-12183-5
- The Gods and their Grand Design: The Eighth Wonder of the World (Souvenir Press, 1984) ISBN 0-285-62630-2
- The Eyes of the Sphinx: The Newest Evidence of Extraterrestrial Contact (Berkley Publishing Corporation, 1996) ISBN 978-0-425-15130-3
- The Return of the Gods: Evidence of Extraterrestrial Visitations (Element, 1998) ISBN 1-86204-253-5
- Arrival of the Gods: Revealing the Alien Landing Sites of Nazca (Element, 1998) ISBN 1-86204-353-1
- The Gods Were Astronauts: Evidence of the True Identities of the Old “Gods” (Vega books, 2001) ISBN 1-84333-625-1
- Odyssey of the Gods: An Alien History of Ancient Greece (Vega books, 2002) ISBN 978-1-84333-558-0
- History Is Wrong (New Page books, 2009) ISBN 978-1-60163-086-5
- Evidence of the Gods (New Page books, 2010) ISBN 978-1-60163-247-0
- Twilight of the Gods: The Mayan Calendar and the Return of the Extraterrestrials (New Page books, 2010) ISBN 978-1-60163-141-1
- Remnants of the Gods: A Visual Tour of Alien Influence in Egypt, Spain, France, Turkey, and Italy (New Page Books, 2013) ISBN 1601632835