US will consider resuming halted military aid to Egypt — Trump

U.S. President Donald Trump arrives to addresses the 72nd United Nations General Assembly at U.N. headquarters in New York, U.S., September 19, 2017. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz
The United States, which last month decided to deny Egypt $95.7 million in aid and to delay a further $195 million over human rights concerns, will consider resuming some suspended military assistance, US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday.

Asked if he would restart military to aid to Egypt, Trump told reporters as he began a meeting with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi: “We’re going to certainly consider it.”

On Wednesday, as Trump met with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi at the UN General Assembly, he responded to a question about renewing military aid to the country by saying: “We’re going to certainly consider it,” Reuters reported.

Unnamed sources on August 27 said the Trump administration had decided to redirect elsewhere $65.7 million in the fiscal year 2017, funds initially intended for Egypt.

The administration also made a separate decision to stop $195 million in military funding to

Egypt from fiscal year 2016, due to concerns over human rights violations.

The 2016 funds would have expired and ceased to be available on September 30, 2017, had the administration not acted.

In 2015, President Barack Obama secured $1.3 billion in annual military funding for the country.