UNITED NATIONS (VOP TODAY NEWS) — The United Nations confirmed the start of the withdrawal of fighters, “Ansar Allah” on Saturday from three ports in the province of Hodeidah, west of Yemen, while accused a senior official loyal to the Huthi government to implement a “new play.”
In response to an AFP question about the start of the redeployment of Houthi forces, UN spokesman Farhan Haq said: “Yes, it has started.”
A source close to the Houthis said the ports were handed over to the Coast Guard, which they were responsible for before the Houthis seized them nearly five years ago.
An AFP photographer in Salih port said he saw the Houthi troops leave the site, while men wearing the Coast Guard uniforms were entering it, adding that the movements were monitored by the United Nations.
But Hodeidah governor Hassan Tahir said that “the Houthis are carrying out a new play by handing over the ports of Hodeidah, Salif and Ras Issa without international supervision or from the government side according to the mechanism of agreement.”
Tahir added that “this is a unilateral step that contradicts the agreement and the United Nations, led by its envoy in Yemen, Martin Griffiths, is responsible,” accusing Griffith of working for the Houthis.
He said that Griffith “wants to achieve victory even if the Houthis surrender the ports for themselves, but this is completely rejected by us, and must be implemented all the terms of the agreement, especially with regard to the identity of the forces that will receive ports from the Houthis.”
“We have carried out the commitments of the first phase of the redeployment, and the United Nations must oblige the other party to carry out its obligations,” al-Masirah television quoted the official as saying.
The withdrawal of the Houthis is a first step in the implementation of the ceasefire agreement between the internationally recognized government of Yemen and Ansar Allah, which was approved in Sweden last year.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for VOP from different countries around the world – edited and published by VOP staff in our newsroom.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
VOP Today News — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
We are the Voice of People — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes VOP possible came from you.