TURKEY – 28 DEAD, 75 INJURED After Explosion in Ankara

Sunday’s blast in Ankara occurred two days after US embassy issued a warning of a possible attack.

By Nerti U. Qatja@VOP_Today


At least 28 deaths and 75 injuries have been reported in central Ankara after a strong explosion struck the Turkish capital.

A bomb-laden car exploded on Sunday evening in Kizilay neighbourhood near bus stops, private broadcaster NTV reported.

 

Dogan Asik, 28, told the AP news agency that he was on a bus when the explosion occurred.

“We were thrown further back into the bus from the force of the explosion,” said Asik, who sustained injuries on his face and arm.

Ambulances were taking the injured to hospitals. Witnesses said there were vehicles on fire and buses that had been heavily damaged. Police cordoned off the area shortly after the incident.

“As of now there has been no claim of responsibility,” Al Jazeera’s Mohammed Jamjoom, reporting from Istanbul, said. “But this is a real concern for Turkey. It happened in the capital and this is the third explosion to have happened in Ankara.”

The explosion came just three weeks after a suicide car bombing in the capital targeted buses carrying military personnel, killing 29 people. A Kurdish armed group which is an offshoot of the outlawed group, the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK, claimed responsibility for that attack.

It also occurred two days after the US embassy issued a security warning about a potential plot to attack Turkish government buildings and housing in one Ankara neighbourhood and asked its citizens to avoid those areas.