UNITED STATES (VOP TODAY NEWS) — The number of victims of a ship sinking off the coast of southern Tunisia last week rose to 82, the Tunisian Red Crescent said on Saturday.
Mengi Salim, an official with the Tunisian Red Crescent, said that after a week-long search, all the bodies of the eighty-two people aboard the ship that sank last week were recovered.
The rubber boat was launched last week from the Libyan city of Zuwara, 120 kilometers east of the capital Tripoli, with 86 migrants on board, according to an official in the Marine Guard who declined to be identified.
The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said Tunisian fishermen rescued four people but later died in the hospital.
The west coast of Libya is a major departure point for African migrants hoping to reach Europe, although numbers have fallen due to Italian-led efforts to crack down on smuggling networks and support the Libyan Coast Guard. In May, 65 migrants sank from Libya to Europe after their boat capsized off Tunisia.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for VOP from different countries around the world – edited and published by VOP staff in our newsroom.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
VOP Today News — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
We are the Voice of People — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes VOP possible came from you.