Trump shared classified info to Russians — media

President Donald Trump shared highly classified information with the Russian foreign minister and Russian ambassador to the US in a White House meeting last week, according to The Washington Post.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said in a statement Monday Trump discussed a “broad range of subjects” with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Russian ambassador to the US Sergey Kislyak.

“During President Trump’s meeting with Foreign Minister Lavrov a broad range of subjects were discussed among which were common efforts and threats regarding counter-terrorism. During that exchange the nature of specific threats were discussed, but they did not discuss sources, methods or military operations,” Tillerson, who was in the meeting, said in a statement provided by White House press secretary Sean Spicer.

Dina Powell, White House deputy national security adviser for strategy, who also attended the meeting, said: “This story is false. The President only discussed the common threats that both countries faced,” in a statement provided by Spicer.

According to the Post, Trump described details to Lavrov and Kislyak about how ISIS hopes to use laptop computers as bombs on planes.

“I get great intel. I have people brief me on great intel every day,” one official with knowledge told the Post described Trump as saying, before the President reportedly relayed specific intelligence.

– A story that is “false,” National Security Adviser HR McMaster said Monday night –

This is hardly the first time the paper who claims “Democracy Dies in Darkness” has shined a light on something that never happened.

“The story that came out tonight is false,” McMaster said.

“I was in the room, it didn’t happen,” the National Security Adviser said.

“At no time” were intelligence methods or assets discussed during the meeting, McMaster added. Nothing Trump said constituted information that was not previously publically known, according to the general.

The Post previously reported that Russian hackers breached the electric grid in Vermont. That story also turned out to be false. Post reporters skipped a basic practice in journalism to verify with utility officials that a breach had occurred.

What’s more, the WaPo has led the “fake news” brigade, publishing the names of sites in an attempt to blacklist them from public trust. These included Sputnik News, TruthOut, Zero Hedge, the Drudge Report and WikiLeaks. The Post ran a correction later on stating that “The Post… does not itself vouch for the validity of PropOrNot’s findings regarding any individual media outlet.”

On multiple occasions, the Post has resorted to apologizing to limit the embarrassment of their explosive and incorrect reporting. Nevertheless, even though they incorrectly predicted that Trump was doomed in the general election, their antagonistic, negative approach to the president has never ceased.

One would think that after so many miscues and failed forecasts they would at least corroborate the information they reported with independent accounts verifying a particular conclusion.

Earlier on Monday, Deputy National Security Advisor Dina Powell echoed McMaster. “This story [published by the Washington Post] is false. The president only discussed common threats that both countries faced,” Powell said.

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson also said, “sources, methods or military operations” were excluded from the conversation with Kislyak and Lavrov. In sum, three high-level White House officials say the Washington Post report is off the mark. These accounts should “outweigh anonymous sources,” McMaster emphasized.

___

Online