Tourist resort in Mali ‘under attack’

Tourist resort in Mali popular with Westerners under attack, with reports of shots being fired. 

______

LATEST UPDATE 

Five attackers arrested, four killed after Mali resort attack, reported AFP news agency on Monday referring security ministry.

Gunmen have stormed a tourist resort in Mali popular with Westerners and two people are dead, BBC news reported citing the country’s security minister has said.

“It is a jihadist attack. Malian special forces intervened and hostages have been released,” Salif Traore told AFP.

“Unfortunately for the moment there are two dead, including a Franco-Gabonese.”

Government troops battled the gunmen at the luxury resort Le Campement Kangaba, east of the capital Bamako.

According to the security ministry, “one of the terrorists was able to escape, after being injured”. He left behind a machine gun and bottles filled with “explosive substances”.

The ministry said another two people had been injured, including a civilian.

A security ministry spokesman told Reuters 32 guests had been rescued from the resort.

French and Malian special forces are conducting a joint military operation after suspected jihadists stormed a luxury resort in Dougourakoro, Western Mali. Mali’s security minister has confirmed two fatalities so far, AFP reports.

Government says there were “suspected jihadists” behind Mali attack, reported AFP news agency.

Reuters told, luxury resort popular with Western expatriates outside Mali’s capital Bamako came under attack by gunmen on Sunday, a spokesman at the Security Ministry said.

He had no further details of the attack on Le Campement resort in Dougourakoro, to the east of the capital Bamako, but said it was still going on, added Reuters.

BBC reported — The spokesman said the attack was ongoing at Le Campement resort in Dougourakoro, to the east of the capital Bamako.

Malian troops and soldiers from France’s Bakhane counter-terrorist force are at the site.

There was no information immediately available on casualties.

Mali has been fighting a jihadist insurgency for several years, with Islamist fighters roaming the country’s north and centre.

In November 2015, at least 20 people were killed when gunmen took guests and staff hostage at the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako.

Al-Qaeda’s North African arm, Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), said it was behind that siege.

Mali has been in a state of emergency since the Radisson Blu attack. It was extended for a further six months in April.

MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW.