UNITED STATES (VOP TODAY NEWS) — On May 15, clashes between forces loyal to the internationally recognized government of Yemen and Hussite rebels began again in the port city of Hodeidah, despite the fact that the United Nations had previously announced the departure of Hussites from Hodeida, Salif and Ras Isa.
Moammar Erjani, the Minister of Information of the internationally recognized government of Yemen, on May 12 called the report on the withdrawal of the Hussite troops disinformation.
On May 16, a coalition led by Saudi Arabia inflicted airstrikes on the Houthit-controlled areas of Sana’a, killing six civilians, including four children, said the Ansar Alla (Houthit) -detected Ministry of Health.
On May 17, Reuters reported that the UN-sponsored meeting in Jordan ended without any agreement. Hussites said they did not trust the government-controlled Central Bank and rejected the proposed agreement to divide the bank’s revenues.
A source in the delegation of the Hussites told Al-Monitor on May 17 about the mysterious absence at the talks of the governor of the Central Bank based in Aden, Hafez Muayyad.
According to the same source, the government supported by Saudi Arabia appointed Mohammed Omran the head of the official delegation in place of Muayyad.
“Omrani is an intelligence officer and has no relation to the economy,” the source added. In Aden, in turn, insist that Omran is the director of the technical advice bureau of the government of Hadi and the head of the National Information Center.
It is known that the delegation of the Hussites at the talks in Amman was headed by the head of the Central Bank in Sana’a Mohammed Sayani. It should be noted that the belligerents refused to meet face to face in negotiations; communication took place exclusively through UN mediators.
An internationally based government based in Aden moved the Central Bank from Sana’a to Aden in August 2016, claiming that the Hussites stole bank funds and used them to pay their fighters who are waging war against the government. However, the Hussites deny this information.
The government supported by Riyadh promises to pay salaries to civil servants, despite the fact that the main settlements are still in the hands of the Ansar Alla movement.
According to observers, all the talk about peace and economic recovery of the country will have to be postponed due to the inability of the warring parties to reach an agreement in Amman.
Meanwhile, ordinary Yemenis are hoping for an early end to the war. “We want the warring parties to sign a peace agreement, because people are running out of patience,” said Sana resident Ali Shawi. “About 28 million Yemenis are waiting for this agreement.”
The civil war between the internationally recognized government and the Hussite rebels has been going on since 2014. The military coalition, led by Saudi Arabia, has been supporting the government for the past four years, and the Hussites have been supporting Iran. According to UN data, more than 13 thousand people died as a result of the war in Yemen, 3 million were forced to leave their homes.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for VOP from different countries around the world – edited and published by VOP staff in our newsroom.
Contact us: [email protected]
VOP Today News — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
We are the Voice of People — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes VOP possible came from you.