UNITED STATES (VOP TODAY NEWS) — As a result of clashes of the opposing forces near the Libyan capital Tripoli, 443 people have already died, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday.
“443 people were killed and 2 110 injured due to clashes in Libya,” – said the organization on Twitter.
Previously reported about 400 dead and about 2 thousand wounded.
The number of people who lost shelter due to the conflict has increased to almost 60 thousand, the organization notes.
In the spring of 2019 in Libya, the conflict between the two warring parties trying to unite the country under their command intensified: the country’s “eastern” authorities, supported by the Libyan People’s Army commander of the Caliph Haftar, and the government of national consent, formed with the support of the UN.
On 4 April, the Commander of the Libyan People’s Army, Khalifa Haftar, announced the launch of an offensive on Tripoli. Battle clashes are underway in the suburbs of the Libyan capital.
The leader of the UN-recognized government of national consensus Fayez Saraj is currently on tour in Europe. He has already visited Italy and France, and French President Emmanuel Macron assured Saraj of his support.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for VOP from different countries around the world – edited and published by VOP staff in our newsroom.
Contact us: email@example.com
VOP Today News — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
We are the Voice of People — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes VOP possible came from you.