UNITED STATES (VOP TODAY NEWS) — Sudan’s protest leaders have stressed their position and demanded the dissolution of a new military junta and the formation of a civilian government, refusing to break up a 10-day sit-in outside the headquarters of the armed forces’ general headquarters in Khartoum.
“The army will try again to disperse the protesters because it is under pressure, but we do not intend to leave,” said demonstrator Ahmed Nujdi, who was on Tuesday in a sit-in outside the armed forces headquarters in Khartoum. “It may be a long battle, but we have to fight for Our rights”.
The Sudanese Workers’ Union, which has been organizing the protest movement for months, demanded for the first time the dissolution of the Transitional Military Council and its replacement by a civilian council with representatives of the army.
The group has associated itself with any future transitional government to fulfill this requirement.
The group stepped up Monday after condemning an attempt to disperse the sit-in outside the headquarters of the armed forces’ general headquarters, which has continued since April 6, without specifying who wants to disperse the demonstrators.
On Tuesday, thousands of demonstrators responded to the rally calling for the protection of the “revolution.” They poured into the vicinity of the military headquarters, stressing that the removal of President Bashir and the military council’s promises to form a civilian government without specifying a timetable were inadequate.
“We have seen what happened in Egypt, we do not want to do that with us,” Ahmed Najdi said.
Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who took over the presidency for 30 years in 2011, stepped down following a popular uprising in the framework of the so-called Arab Spring at the time. But the army, led by Marshal Abdul Fattah al-Sisi, overthrew in 2013 the new elected president, Mohamed Morsi. Sissi has since held the presidency and last year won a second term.
– International pressure –
The 55-member African Union has threatened to suspend the membership of the Sudan if the military junta does not hand over power to civilians within 15 days, stressing that “the military leadership of the transitional phase is completely contrary to the aspirations of the Sudanese people.”
Several Western countries also called on the Sudanese authorities not to resort to violence to disperse the demonstrators.
At least 65 people have been killed since the protests began, according to an official toll.
After a rapprochement in recent days between the army and demonstrators who called on the military to turn the revolution to overthrow Bashir, relations between the two sides have returned to tension.
A banner was posted on the walls of the headquarters of the Armed Forces General Headquarters calling on demonstrators to “not approach”.
On Twitter, the British ambassador to Khartoum, Irfan Siddiq, said after his meeting with Deputy Chairman of the Transitional Military Council, Mohammed Hamdan Daklu, that Britain calls for “not to use violence and not to try to force the sit-in by force.”
– controversial personality –
The vice-president of the Transitional Military Council, Mohammed Hamdan Daglo, nicknamed Hamidati, is a controversial figure accused of human rights violations in the Darfur region of western Sudan. But a number of demonstrators are raising his image and asserting that he now stands with the people.
On Friday, the head of Sudan’s transitional military junta, Lieutenant-General Abd al-Fatah al-Burhan, pledged to “root out” former President Omar al-Bashir’s regime, but was still surrounded by a number of “old guard” elements of the regime.
The two military groups said the Sudanese forces involved in the Riyadh-led military alliance against the Houthi rebels in Yemen “will remain until the coalition achieves its objectives.”
On Saturday, Saudi Arabia announced its support for the measures taken by the Transitional Military Council in Sudan, which will provide the country with a package of humanitarian aid including petroleum products, wheat and medicine.
Amnesty International on Saturday called on the military to hand over the deposed president to the International Criminal Court (ICC), which issued an arrest warrant for Bashir for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Darfur in 2009 and then added genocide charges in 2010 and issued another arrest warrant.
“The decision to extradite al-Bashir to the ICC will be taken from an elected popular government and not by the transitional military junta,” Jalaluddin Sheikh said on Monday.
The war in the Darfur region, which has declined in recent years, has left more than 300,000 dead and 2.5 million displaced, according to the United Nations.
Fourteen people were killed in armed clashes on Saturday in a camp for displaced people in the Darfur region, the official SUNA news agency reported, without elaborating on the violence.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for VOP from different countries around the world – edited and published by VOP staff in our newsroom.
Support The VOP from as little as $1 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.
We are the Voice of People — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes VOP possible came from you.
VOP Today News — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: email@example.com