UNITED STATES (VOP TODAY NEWS) — Four policemen and three civilians were killed on Tuesday when a 15-year-old suicide bomber blew himself up near a security force in a market in Sheikh Zuweid, north Sinai, the Interior Ministry said.
Among the dead were two officers and a six-year-old child, she said. The attack claimed 26 lives.
Security sources said earlier that the officers were the head of the police department of Sheikh Zuweid and his aide.
The radical Islamic state claimed responsibility for the attack. Fifteen people were killed or wounded, he said in a statement.
The statement said the attacker was Abu Hajar al-Masri and detonated his explosive vest in a police foot patrol.
Egypt has been struggling to crack down on militant Islamists, mostly in the northern Sinai peninsula, where the army has been waging a major security operation since February 2018.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for VOP from different countries around the world – edited and published by VOP staff in our newsroom.
Support The VOP from as little as $1 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.
We are the Voice of People — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes VOP possible came from you.
VOP Today News — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: email@example.com