The Russian Defense Ministry (MoD) has denied on Sunday the Pentagon’s allegations that Russian jets had attacked the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) near the Syrian city of Deir ez-Zor, reported Sputnik.
U.S.-backed militias said they came under attack on Saturday from Russian jets and Syrian government forces in Deir ez-Zor province, a flashpoint in an increasingly complex battlefield, told Reuters.
The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), an alliance of Kurdish and Arab militias fighting with the U.S.-led coalition, said six of its fighters had been wounded in the strike. But Major-General Igor Konashenkov, a spokesman for the Russian Defence Ministry, dismissed the allegations in a statement on Sunday.
Konashenkov said Russian planes had only carried out carefully targeted strikes in the area based upon information that had been confirmed from multiple sources. The strikes had only hit targets in areas under the control of Islamic State, he said.