An influential Chinese newspaper had urged the North Koreans to pause its nuclear programme in return for Chinese protection.
In response to rising tensions over North Korea’s nuclear program, China said a conflict could breakout any moment. As per reports from news agency AFP, China said in a statement, ‘Conflict could break out at any moment’ over North Korea. China also said there can be no winner in war over North Korea.
Earlier in the day, China had said using force won’t help in resolving the issue. An influential Chinese newspaper had urged the North Koreans to pause its nuclear programme in return for Chinese protection. Amid rising concerns of North Korea possibly conducting a sixth nuclear test in defiance of UN sanctions, US issued warnings that a policy of patience is no longer applicable. China had earlier called for talks that would lead to peaceful settlement and the denuclearisation of the peninsula. The Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi, while speaking to media, had said, “Military force cannot resolve the issue”. The minister also added, “Amid tensions we will also find a kind of opportunity to return to talks”.
US President Donald Trump has put North Korea on notice that any further provocation would not be tolerated, whereas officials have confirmed that Trump administration will focus its strategy on tougher economic sanctions.
Earlier North Korea’s vice foreign minister Han Song Ryol, while speaking to news agency AP said they will launch nuclear test whenever the supreme headquarters find it appropriate. Attacking the US, he further said, “Pyongyang won’t ‘keep its arms crossed’ in face of US pre-emptive strike.” He also took a dig at the United States President Donald Trump for ‘making trouble’ for posting aggressive tweets.
President Donald Trump’s tweet read, “North Korea is looking for trouble. If China decides to help, that would be great. If not, we will solve the problem without them! U.S.A.”
North Korea is looking for trouble. If China decides to help, that would be great. If not, we will solve the problem without them! U.S.A.
— President Trump (@POTUS) April 11, 2017
Meanwhile, US Vice President Mike Pence will visit Seoul on Sunday, in what his aides said was a sign of the US commitment to its ally in the face of rising tensions over North Korea’s nuclear program. This will be Pence’s first visit as vice president as it comes at a time when there are rising concerns that Pyongyang could soon conduct its sixth nuclear test.
(http://indianexpress.com/ referring AFP contributed to this report)