Pakistan says it will refer Kashmir case to International Court of Justice

UNITED STATES, WASHINGTON (VOP TODAY NEWS) — Pakistan said on Tuesday it would refer the Kashmir dispute with India to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) after New Delhi abolished the special status of its part of the territory this month.

Islamabad reacted angrily to the decision, cutting trade and transport links and expelling the Indian ambassador.

“We have decided to refer the Kashmir issue to the International Court of Justice,” Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi told Ari News television. “The decision was made after taking all legal aspects into account.”

Qureshi said the case would focus on human rights abuses that are alleged to be committed by India in Muslim-majority Kashmir, which both countries claim full sovereignty but each ruled in part.

The decision of the Court is only advisory. However, the ruling would be binding if the two countries agreed in advance.

An Indian Foreign Ministry spokesman has yet to respond to a request for comment. India denies human rights violations in Kashmir.


This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for VOP from different countries around the world – edited and published by VOP staff in our newsroom.

Our Standards, Terms of Use: Standard Terms And Conditions.

Contact us: [email protected]

VOP Today News — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.

Stay connected with VOP Today News on Twitter – VOP Today News on Facebook, also with our online services and never lost the breaking news stories happening around the world.

Support The VOP from as little as $1 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.

We are the Voice of People — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes VOP possible came from you.