The US general who is in charge of America’s nuclear forces has confirmed that North Korea tested a hydrogen bomb earlier this month.
North Korea on September 3 announced it had conducted a “successful” hydrogen bomb test, hours after two tremors were detected in the country.
“The hydrogen bomb test was a perfect success,” North Korean state television said, adding that the device was capable of being loaded onto long-range missiles.
The United States had previously declined to characterize the test.
“When I look at the thing that size, I as a military officer assume that it’s a hydrogen bomb. I have to,” Air Force General John Hyten, head of the US military’s Strategic Command, told reporters at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska on Thursday.
“I’m not a nuclear scientist, so I can’t tell you this is how it worked, this is what the bomb was. … But I can tell you the size that we observed and saw tends to me to indicate that it was a hydrogen bomb and I have to figure out what the right response is with our allies as to that kind of event,” he added.