UNITED STATES (VOP TODAY NEWS) — The next time you use the touch screen for self-ordering in one of the fast food chains , remember this text. Because scientists warn: touching such screens in McDonald’s or KFC, you can get Listeria, Staphylococcus and many other bacteria “completely free.”
Here is what I like? It seems not quite.
New research, writes IFL Science, showed that McDonald’s touch screens (and, obviously, other establishments that offer the same service) are littered with many potentially dangerous strains of bacteria.
This is the conclusion made by microbiologists from the London Metropolitan University (London Metropolitan University), who conducted an analysis in eight fast-food restaurants.
Analysis of the data showed that they all contained E. coli (Escherichia coli) – a type of rod-shaped bacteria common in the lower intestine of warm-blooded animals and humans. Also bacilli (Bacillus) – rod-shaped bacteria, some species of which cause anthrax and toxicoinfection.
Listeria were found in two restaurants out of eight. These bacteria, we recall, can cause a disease similar to food poisoning, but it will be life threatening if we are talking about a pregnant woman or a person with a weakened immune system.
“Listeria is a very rare bacterium, so we were shocked when we discovered it on touch screens ,” commented for a Metro.co.uk Paul Matewele, a microbiologist and one of the authors of the study.
Staphylococcus (Staphylococcus), a group of bacteria that may be responsible for staphylococcal infections, is very cozy in one of the restaurants on the touch screen.
Other bacteria found on the screens include Pseudomonas (chest infections), Enterococcus faecalis (are part of the gastrointestinal flora) and Klebsiella (urinary tract infections and diarrhea).
After seeing the results of the study, representatives of the British McDonald’s said that the touch screens for self-service are constantly being cleared during the day. In addition, restaurants provide customers with the opportunity to wash their hands before eating.
So is it worth worrying then?
Sure, you know perfectly well that bacteria are an integral part of our world. Some of them are harmless, others are potentially dangerous, and still others are very useful.
Although the idea of touching a bacteria-infested touchscreen before a meal is unlikely to seem appetizing to someone, as long as the person’s immune system is fine, he definitely shouldn’t worry. Because most of even the “most dangerous of bacteria” in small quantities, most likely, will not cause you problems.
On the other hand, even if you are a happy owner of a very strong immunity , you should not forget about one important rule. Namely – wash your hands before eating (especially if you are in a public place).
VOP Today News — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org