UNITED STATES, WASHINGTON (VOP TODAY NEWS) — President Donald Trump said on Friday the United States would subject Chinese imports to a 5 percent surcharge in response to what he called a politically motivated move by China to impose US $ 75 billion in export duties.
“Sadly, previous administrations have so far allowed China to evade a fair and balanced trade, which has become a huge burden on the US taxpayer,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “As president, I can no longer allow this to happen.”
He said the United States would increase tariffs on Chinese imports by $ 250 billion to 30 percent from the current 25 percent from October 1.
At the same time, Trump announced that it would raise tariffs on the rest of China’s $ 300 billion worth of goods from 10 percent to 15 percent.
The United States will begin imposing duties on some products from September 1, but duties on about half of those goods have been postponed to December 15.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for VOP from different countries around the world – edited and published by VOP staff in our newsroom.
Contact us: [email protected]
VOP Today News — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
We are the Voice of People — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes VOP possible came from you.