CIA Director urges US to prepare for ‘last step’ towards North Korea

Interfax

FILE - This April 13, 2016 file photo shows the seal of the Central Intelligence Agency at CIA headquarters in Langley, Va. A federal judge said Thursday, Jan. 19, 2017 that he's inclined to allow trial for a lawsuit against two psychologists who designed the CIA's harsh interrogation methods for the war on terror. The American Civil Liberties Union sued the psychologists on behalf of three former detainees, who claim they were tortured in CIA prisons. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File)
CIA Director Mike Pompeo warned that developments in the field of nuclear weapons in the DPRK are already in the stage close to bringing a nuclear strike across the US, CBS reported.

“Now its capabilities are quite close to this, and in the political perspective we should behave as if it is on the verge of achieving these opportunities,” Pompeo said, speaking at the National Endowment for Democracy. As he said, already now “it is necessary to reflect on the last step”.

At the same time, the head of the US intelligence agency did not name Pyongyang’s readiness for a strike against the United States and its allies. He noted that the US continues to gather intelligence about North Korea’s nuclear program, but so far they are “far from perfect.” Pompeo said that “when we talk about months, it is not essential how high the level of understanding of specific details is.”

At the same time he added that now the nuclear capabilities of the DPRK are much more perfect than five years ago, and will be even more perfect in five months.

The day before, North Korea announced its readiness to strike at ships of the US Navy and South Korea, participating in joint naval exercises in the Japanese and the Yellow Seas.

“The US itself has brought to us the goals that we set for destruction in the first place, let the US expect that they will be dealt an unimaginable blow at an unimaginable time,” reads a statement distributed by the Central Telegraph Agency of Korea (CTC).

As reported, in the exercises taking place in the Korean peninsula area, actions are being worked out on a possible attack on North Korea. The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, destroyers of the Arly Burke type take part in them, and two nuclear submarines of the US Navy are stationed in the South Korean ports.

The DPRK threatened that it was “ready for the strongest response actions that would smash them into chips.”