WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s questioning at the Ecuadoran embassy in London over a longstanding rape allegation ended on Tuesday, Swedish prosecutors said.
The results of the questioning by an Ecuadoran prosecutor, which began on Monday, will not be provided immediately on the grounds of confidentiality, the Swedish prosecutor’s office said in a statement – AFP.
On Assange Sex Case:
“After this report, the prosecutors will take a view on the continuation of the investigation,”
Swedish prosecutor Ingrid Isgren, Ecuador’s ambassador to Britain, Carlos Ortiz, and an Ecuadoran lawyer representing Assange were all present as the former hacker was grilled with questions provided by Swedish officials.
However, Assange’s Swedish lawyer Per Samuelsson was not allowed to attend, a ruling that he will “contest”,
The 45-year-old Assange sought refuge in Ecuador’s embassy in London’s upmarket Knightsbridge neighbourhood in June 2012, fleeing allegations of rape and sexual assault in Sweden dating back to 2010.
The former computer hacker, an Australian national, refused to travel to Sweden for questioning, saying he feared he would then be extradited to the United States over WikiLeaks’ release of 500,000 secret military files on the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
– Supporters hold vigil –
A first hearing scheduled for October with Ecuadoran prosecutor Toainga Wilson was postponed at Assange’s request, citing “his rights to the protection and defence of his person,” according to Ecuadoran prosecutors.
Swedish prosecutors dropped their sexual assault probe into Assange last year after the five-year statute of limitations expired.
— Voice Of People (@VOP_Today) November 3, 2016