Neo-Nazi mass murderer Anders Breivik has won a human rights victory after a court ruled he was subjected to “inhuman treatment” during his prison term.
The court in Oslo ruled Breivik’s human rights had been violated saying some of his treatment was “inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment”.
By Nerti U. Qatja, @VOP_Today – Source: Mirror
The ruling comes after Breivik, a right-wing extremist, was convicted of terrorism and mass murder after killing 77 people in an attack on a summer camp in 2011.
Breivik was held in solitary confinement since the massacre, where he can play video games, watch TV and exercise.
But Breivik’s conditions in prison breached an article in the European Convention on Human Rights prohibiting inhuman and degrading treatment, the Oslo district court said in a statement.
The ruling specifically cited Breivik’s isolation in two different prisons since his arrest on July 22 2011.
It also said authorities had not given enough attention to his mental health when determining his conditions in prison.
The court dismissed Breivik’s claim that the government had also violated his right to respect for private and family life.
It ordered the government to pay Breivik’s legal costs of 331,000 kroner (£28,000).
“The prohibition of inhuman and degrading treatment represents a fundamental value in a democratic society,” the court said.
“This applies no matter what – also in the treatment of terrorists and killers.”
Breivik sued the government, saying his isolation from other prisoners, frequent strip searches and the fact that he was often handcuffed while moving between the three cells at his disposal violated his human rights.
During a four-day hearing he also complained about the quality of the prison food and about having to eat with plastic utensils.
The government rejected his complaints, saying he was treated humanely despite the severity of his crimes.
His case was heard between March 15-18 in Skien prison, in Telemark, where he is serving his sentence.
During one court hearing, the 37-year-old made a Nazi salute while staring at journalists.
Breivik’s attacks shocked Norway on July 22, 2011.
After months of meticulous preparations, he set off a car bomb outside the government headquarters in Oslo, killing eight people and wounding dozens.
He then drove to Utoya island, where he opened fire on the annual summer camp of the left-wing Labour Party’s youth wing.
Sixty-nine people were killed, most of them teenagers, before Breivik surrendered to police.