1,000 firefighters still battling Portugal’s deadliest forest blaze

More than 1,000 firefighters are still battling Portugal’s deadliest forest blaze which began on Saturday and has so far claimed the lives of 64 people, reported Euronews. 

More than 70 others including 13 firefighters were taken to hospital on Monday as the wildfire continues to ravage the central districts of leiria and Branco.

The death toll rose after a firefighter died of his injuries. 

Water dousing of the tinder-dry area is continuing but one expert said there was still a lot of forest left which could go up in flames.

At least half the victims died in their cars as they tried to flee along a local motorway. The dead fireman is said to have been trying to help them out of their cars but was badly burned.